Nigeyb

Nigeyb

The Butler Did It: My True and Terrifying Encounters with a Serial Killer - Paul Pender I picked this up [b:The Butler Did It: My True and Terrifying Encounters with a Serial Killer|14611844|The Butler Did It My True and Terrifying Encounters with a Serial Killer|Paul Pender|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349155442s/14611844.jpg|20254615] on a whim in the library. I don't normally go for true-crime memoir, however the idea of a ruthless bisexual butler to the aristocracy, who doubles as a jewel thief and murderer, was too intriguing to pass by.

Although the story of Archie Hall (aka Roy Fontaine) is extraordinary, the combination of Paul Pender's insistence in making the story as much about him as Roy Fontaine, and Fontaine's deeply unpleasant personality, conspired to diminish the tale.

Paul Pender employs a very journalistic writing style which, along with a few too many ill advised attempts at humour, didn't suit the dark events being described. Looking around at other reviews it appears that for other readers, this didn't get in the way of what is ultimately a fascinating story, however for me it was yet another distraction.

By the end I was relieved to finish the book.