Nigeyb

Nigeyb

Rumpole At Christmas - John Mortimer Earlier in 2012 I read [b:Clinging to the Wreckage: A Part of Life|10630309|Clinging to the Wreckage A Part of Life|John Mortimer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356457598s/10630309.jpg|3170637], one of John Mortimer's memoirs, and this reminded me of Rumpole Of The Bailey. I used to watch the television adaptation in the late 1970s and early 1980s when I was a teenager. Although I can't remember much about the programme I know I always used to enjoy it. I also thoroughly enjoyed [b:Clinging to the Wreckage: A Part of Life|10630309|Clinging to the Wreckage A Part of Life|John Mortimer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356457598s/10630309.jpg|3170637] and that inspired me to try a Rumpole book. When I saw "Rumpole at Christmas" in my local library it felt so right. This book is a slim collection of short stories that were originally written for magazines and newspapers. The stories are highly predictable and formulaic, and frequently the ending is obvious well before the story's end, however none of this mattered to me as the charm is all in the Rumpole character - his personality, his foibles, his humour and those he meets along the way, frequently colleagues, judges and criminals, and most memorably his wife Hilda aka "She who must be obeyed". If you're after an undemanding and entertaining seasonal read then this book has much to enjoy. I look forward to reading more Rumpole - who I now classify along with PG Wodehouse as a dependable comic treat.