Nigeyb

Nigeyb

Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength - Paul Wade I read this as a friend suggested it was a good way of building up strength without weights or being a member of a gym. Paul Wade was a long term convict in the US who acquired knowledge of Calisthenics. Wade argues that Calisthenics (essentially training without weights or machines (e.g. sit ups, press ups, squats etc.)) is more effective than routines that isolate specific muscle groups. His routines can generally be done in the home. Wade emphasises how, by building himself up, he gained respect and a degree of protection from the other inmates. Some of the photos depict cells and prison corridors. I suspect this emphasis might alienate some readers - especially women. I have yet to try many of the routines but they look good. Each routine builds up in complexity and allows the reader to progress at their own pace. I may come back and comment further when I've used the routines for longer - for now though it's a good book for someone looking for exercise ideas he or she can do at home.