Nigeyb

Nigeyb

Just Kids - Patti Smith I love Patti Smith's first three albums. I saw her live in the mid-1990s and was, I'm sad to report, a bit bored. I thought she was destined to be one of those artists who, whilst I have a special affection for her, are no longer relevant. A few weeks ago (Sept 2012) I saw Patti play live at the End Of The Road festival and she was magnificent. Relaxed, passionate, funny, inspiring. That's not all, she's recently released a great new album called 'Banga'. And then there's this book. I bought it for a friend when it was published, and he told me it was good. Seeing Patti live inspired me to finally read it. In short it's a wonderful memoir by an interesting artist. If you have any interest in women in music, Patti Smith, punk, the seventies, then you would almost certainly enjoy it. The majority of the book chronicles Patti's relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. Together they evolve from penniless arrivals to New York city and into a pair of celebrated artists, via the Chelsea hotel, Max's Kansas City, CBGBs and much more. The book is a beautifully written delight. I heartily recommend it.