Nigeyb

Nigeyb

"Fast Exercise: The Simple Secret of High Intensity Training: Get Fitter, Stronger and Better Toned in Just a Few Minutes a Day" by Michael Mosley and Peta BeeMichael Mosley

Fast Exercise: The Simple Secret of High Intensity Training: Get Fitter, Stronger and Better Toned in Just a Few Minutes a Day - Michael Mosley, Peta Bee

I bought this book shortly after reading "The Fast Diet: The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer" by Michael Mosley & Mimi Spencer. I have recently started applying the 5:2 diet principles suggested in "The Fast Diet" (restricting calorie intake to 600 calories for two days a week) with impressive results.

I also watched the Horizon programme made by Michael Mosleyon High Intensity Training (HIT). If you've seen the programme you probably don't need to buy the book. The basic messages are very simple:

- A diet combined with exercise is more effective than either done alone
- People with good levels of aerobic fitness are much less likely to get heart disease, cancer, diabetes or become demented
- Maximum benefit from exercise is via short bursts of high intensity activity followed by recovery periods (three bursts is sufficient to get a dramatic benefit)
- Build in strength exercises to an HIT programme
- Fast exercise will be fully effective only if you lead an otherwise active life

As with "The Fast Diet" book, Michael Mosley details various research studies to explain how and why this regime is beneficial, and co-author Peta Bee adds specific exercise routines.

The book provides simple, easily achievable exercise routines, supported by persuasive arguments that encourage the reader to get active, and all achievable in a very time-efficient way.

As Michael Mosley states at the end of the book, "We were born to move. Some of us more reluctantly than others. So let's find ways to do it more. Fast."