Nigeyb

Nigeyb

"Lost in Music" by Giles Smith

Lost in Music - Giles Smith

Enjoyable, if dated, memoir by a music obsessive

This is the second book I have read by a member of The Cleaners From Venus in the space of a few weeks. Following on from the excellent "This Little Ziggy" by Martin Newell, I was keen to read this book (which covers completely different territory).

It's a very enjoyable read. A combination of personal memoir, the confessions of a pop music obsessive, and the diary of a failed pop star. I suspect it was inspired by Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch and adopts a similar style. As such Lost In Music would probably have had greater resonance when it was first published in 1995. The self-depracating confessional style which embraces various nerdy aspects of the obsessive's world (e.g. the need to carefully define and catalogue) is now an over familiar and somewhat tired trope.

I was most interested in The Cleaners From Venus reminiscences. I suspect Giles Smith would have been amazed to learn that in 2014 there have recently been three lavish CD collections of the majority of the Cleaners' back catalogue. It is a strange and surprising world indeed.

I have read some wonderful books about music in the last few months and, whilst this is enjoyable enough, it pales somewhat in comparison to, and to name just a few, Yeah Yeah Yeah by Bob Stanley, This Little Ziggy by Martin Newell, The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band Who Burned a Million Pounds by John Higgs, Glam! by Barney Hoskyns, and The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club by Peter Hook.

3/5